Quick Searches

Search by state:

Projects Targeting:

Partners

Defenders of Wildlife

Mohawk Creek

Project #: 100604  –   Updated: April 20, 2012

Project Summary

This project removed invasive species and planted riparian areas. This site is in a priority area identified by the Nature Conservancy and by Oregon Department of Environmental Quality for achieving TMDL goals.
The site is 6.28 acres and is in a rural golf course setting. The expected ecosystem benefits are water temperature reduction and Salmon Habitat enhancement. The project sponsor intends to register and retire all credits received to test and demonstrate crediting system.
--from www.willamettepartnership.org

view full description

Location (by county):
Lane County (OR)

Watersheds:
Mckenzie

Congressional Districts:
OR District 04

Bird Conservation Regions:
Northern Pacific Rainforest

USFWS Regions:
Pacific Region

Project size:
6.28 acres

Public Access

Site Name Publicly Accessible
Mohawk Creek crediting pilot program Yes

Full Project Description

This project removed invasive species and planted riparian areas. This site is in a priority area identified by the Nature Conservancy and by Oregon Department of Environmental Quality for achieving TMDL goals.
The site is 6.28 acres and is in a rural golf course setting. The expected ecosystem benefits are water temperature reduction and Salmon Habitat enhancement. The project sponsor intends to register and retire all credits received to test and demonstrate crediting system.
--from www.willamettepartnership.org

Goals and Targets

Primary motivations:

Conservation Mission

Primary goals:

Enhance salmon habitat
Progress:

Invasive species removal was 75% complete in October 2009 and the remaining 25% will be completed in October 2010.
Riparian planting will take place in the winter of 2009 and the winter of 2010

Reduce water temperature
Progress:

Riparian planting will take place in the winter of 2009 and the winter of 2010

See link at right for document name Mohawk Creek for credit portfolio estimate.

Consistent with plans:

Nature Conservancy Ecoregional Plan
Identified as a priority area
Other
TMDL

Targeted Ecosystem Services:

  • Water Quality
Credit Summary
Ecosystem Services Details Show/Hide details

Targeted habitats:

    • Human Habitats
      • Urban and Residential
        • Rural Residential (Low Intensity Developed)
    • Wetlands and Riparian Habitats

Targeted species were not provided for this project.

Actions

Project Actions
Plant native riparian, wetland or aquatic vegetation Show/Hide details
Control invasive plants Show/Hide details

Assistance

Direct Funding
Oregon DEQ (State Government) Show/Hide details
Jubitz Family Foundation (Foundation) Show/Hide details
Technical Assistance

Outcomes

Is the success of this project's actions being monitored?   No/Unknown

What lessons have been learned and/or what suggestions do you have for similar activities?

This Freshwater Trust pilot is recommended as one of three that represents geographic diversity and consistency with relatively simple credit methodology actions. A major driver for these projects is the desire of the Sponsor and the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality to fund and retire temperature credits to demonstrate application of a credit trading system.

Log in to save this project in My Registry

Print this Project Print this Project Printing Help

Organization

Willamette Partnership
(Non-Governmental Organization)

Primary Contact

Bobby Cochran  (Executive Director)
Willamette Partnership
Send email

Partners

  • Freshwater Trust
  • Oregon DEQ
  • Jubitz Family Foundation
  • Parametrix



Project Documents

Project Photos

Photos were not provided.

Project Links

Project Keywords

Click to find similar projects.